Associate Professor of Supply Chain Operations
Prior to joining NC State, Dr. Warsing served on the faculty of the Smeal College of Business at Pennsylvania State University and also worked for IBM Corporation in roles spanning from industrial engineering to manufacturing management. Dr. Warsing’s research concerns the development of tools and policies for effectively managing inventory, logistics, and business operations, and studying the way in which various management practices contribute to improved performance outcomes. His work has been published in Production and Operations Management, the Journal of Operations Management, Decision Sciences, and the European Journal of Operational Research, among others. He is also the co-author of a graduate-level textbook, Supply Chain Engineering: Models and Applications (CRC Press, 2012).
To see a full list of research publications, please visit Dr. Warsing’s personal website.
Ph.D., Operations Management, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (2000)
Master of Science, Management (Industrial Engineering concentration), North Carolina State University (1995)
Bachelor of Science, Industrial and Systems Engineering, Ohio State University (1989)
Area(s) of Expertise
Supply chain modeling, production and inventory management
Faculty Spotlight Articles
- Warsing, D. P., W. Wangwatcharakul, and R. E. King, “Computing Optimal Base-stock Levels for an Inventory System with Imperfect Supply,” forthcoming at Computers and Operations Research.
- Ahiska, S. S., S. R. Appaji, R. E. King, and D. P. Warsing, “A Markov-Decision Process-Based Policy Characterization Approach for a Stochastic Inventory Control Problem With Unreliable Sourcing,” forthcoming at the International Journal of Production Economics.
- Wu, X. and D. P. Warsing (2013), “Comparing Traditional and Fuzzy-Set Solutions to (Q,r) Inventory Systems with Discrete Lead-time Distributions,” Journal of Intelligent and Fuzzy Systems, 24(1), 93-104.
- Kay, M. G. and D. P. Warsing (2009), “Estimating LTL Rates Using Publicly Available Empirical Data,” International Journal of Logistics: Research and Applications, 12(3), 165-193.
- Thomas, D. J., D. P. Warsing and X. Zhang (2009), “Forecast Updating and Supplier Coordination for Complementary Component Purchases,” Production and Operations Management, 18(2), 167-184.
- Handfield, R., D. Warsing, and X. Wu (2009), “(Q,r) Inventory Policies in a Fuzzy Uncertain Supply Chain Environment,” European Journal of Operational Research, 197(2), 609-619.
- Gilland, W. G. and D. P. Warsing (2009), “The Impact of Revenue-Maximizing Priority Pricing on Customer Delay Costs,” Decision Sciences, 40(1), 89-120.
Bozarth, C. C., D. P. Warsing, B. B. Flynn, and J. E. Flynn (2009), “The Impact of Supply Chain Complexity on Manufacturing Plant Performance,” Journal of Operations Management, 27(1), 78-93.
- Management/Executive Development, Red Hat