Betty is an experienced Supply Chain expert with over 35 years experience in supply chain including experience in direct and indirect procurement, distribution, contract manufacturing, logistics and import /export . Her experience includes 29 years at GlaxoSmithKline (GSK ) where she has a proven track record in delivering benefits in terms of cost savings and improved processes through collaboration and use of lean tools and practices. She has extensive experience in leading high performing teams in cross-functional environments. In her professional career she has been responsible for spend categories exceeding $400M in annual spend and responsible for annual departmental budgets exceeding $32M annually. She has extensive experience in sourcing and supplier relationship management.
Betty has an MBA from Meredith College and a BA from North Carolina State University. She has a Six Sigma Green Belt and CSCP (Certified Supply Chain Professional) Certification.
After retirement from GSK in 2014 , Betty spends time as an Executive Practicum Advisor at North Carolina State University as part of the Supply Chain Resource Cooperative, a part of the Poole College of Management. In addition, she is a Senior Consultant with Verta Life Sciences. She is also President of the North Raleigh Civitan Club.
She currently resides in Clayton, North Carolina with her husband and her 3 dogs. In her spare time she enjoys kayaking, golf and hiking.
MBA, Business Administration, Meredith College (1989)
BA, Psychology, N.C. State University (1978)
Green Belt, Operational Excellence (Six Sigma / Lean Manufacturing), (2010)
CSCP, Certified Supply Chain Professional (APICS), (2013)
- Direct and indirect procurement, distribution, contract manufacturing, logistics and import /export.
- Strong negotiation, communication, analytical and problem solving skills, the ability to build high performing teams, and strong leadership skills.
- While at GSK developed and implemented a successful strategic plan for Freight & Distribution Procurement resulting in a global logistics sourcing team that delivered over $36,000,000 in savings in 2011 and 2012, expanding the team’s remit and scope from that of North America and Europe to a true global role.
- Advise supply chain students involved in practicum courses at NC State University as part of the Supply Chain Resource Cooperative (SCRC); an industry and academic relationship that is part of the Poole College of Management
- Advise students at the undergraduate level and MBA level, acting as a liaison with SCRC clients and as an advisor and mentor to students in Supply Chain undergoing a semester long practicum consisting of real life supply chain projects sponsored by SCRC client companies