Executive Director of SCRC, Bank of America University Distinguished Professor of Supply Chain Management
- Honorary Fellow of Contract & Commercial Management (FCCM), International Association of Commercial and Contract Management, (2009).
- Recognized in 2009 as the #6 most prolific authors in the Journal of Operations Management within the last 20 years.
- Handfield was identified as one of a handful of individuals in the 2007 “Pros to Know” list compiled by Supply and Demand Chain Executive journal
Selected Research Highlights
- Handfield, Robert, Planning for the Inevitable: The Role of the Federal Supply Chain in Preparing for National Emergencies, IBM Center for Government, Published Report, July, 2010.
- Nicole Darnell, Robert Handfield, and Jason Jolley "Environmental Management Systems and Green Supply Chain Management: Complements for Sustainability?”, Business Strategy and the Environment, vol. 18, 30-45, 2008.
- Handfield, Robert, “Preparing for the Worst: Sustaining Suppliers Through the Economic Crisis.” Book chapter in Managing Global Supply Chain Relationships: Operations, Strategies and Practices, Editors: Drs. Barbara Flynn, Michiya Morita and Jose Machuca. New York: Busienss Reference, IGI Global, 2011, pp. 1-15.
- Sriram Narayanan, Ann Marucheck, and Robert Handfield, “Electronic Data Interchange: Meta-Analysis, Research Review and Future Directions”, Decision Science Journal, 2009, 40(1): 121-163.Highlighted Authored Books (3-5 entries)
- Handfield, Robert, Krause, Daniel, Scannell, Tom, and Monczka, R., “Avoid the Pitfalls in Supplier Development”, Sloan Management Review, vol. 41, no. 2, Winter 2000, pp. 37-49.
- Handfield, Robert, Ragatz, Gary, Monczka, Robert, and Peterson, Kenneth, “Involving Suppliers in New Product Development”, California Management Review, vol. 42, no. 1, Fall 1999, pp. 59-82. Republished in Managing Strategic Innovation and Change: A Collection of Readings, Tushman, L. and Anderson P. (eds.), Oxford University Press, 2004, 506-522.
- Christopher W. Craighead, Jennifer Blackhurst, M. Johnny Rungtusanatham, Robert B. Handfield (2007). “The Severity of Supply Chain Disruptions: Design Characteristics and Mitigation Capabilities.” Decision Sciences 38(1), 131–156.
Selected Books Authored
- Monczka, Robert, Handfield, Robert, Giunipero, Larry, and Patterson, James, Purchasing and Supply Chain Management, Cincinnati, OH: Southwestern Publishing, College Division, 5th edition, 2011.
- Handfield, Robert, and McCormack, Kevin, Supply Chain Risk Management: Minimizing Disruption in Global Supply Chains. Auerbach Publications, 2008.
- R. Handfield, Supply Market Intelligence, Auerbach Publications, 2006.
- Bozarth, C., and Handfield, R. Operations and Supply Chain Management, 2nd edition (undergraduate textbook), , Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall, 2005. Initial sales estimated in year 1 at 8000+ units.
- Handfield, Robert B. and Ernest L. Nichols, Jr., Supply Chain Redesign: Transforming Supply Chains Into Integrated Value Systems, Prentice Hall, Inc., Upper Saddle River, New Jersey (2002) (ISBN: 0-13-060312-0).
- Handfield, Robert B. and Ernest L. Nichols, Jr., Introduction to Supply Chain Management, Prentice Hall, Inc., Upper Saddle River, New Jersey (1999) (ISBN: 0-13-621616-1). Japanese, Chinese, and Korean language editions are also available from Prentice Hall-Japan (ISBN: 4-89471-608-9), Prentice Hall-Taiwan, (ISBN: 957-584-890-X), and Prentice Hall-Korea (ISBN: 89-88806-16-6).
Robert Handfield, Ph.D., is the executive director of the SCRC and the Bank of America University Distinguished Professor of Supply Chain Management in NC State’s Poole College of Management. Handfield is a consulting editor of the Journal of Operations Management and has written several books on supply chain management, including “Supply Market Intelligence, Supply Chain Re-Design.” He has co-authored textbooks for MBA and undergraduate programs include “Purchasing and Supply Chain Management” (with Robert Monczka) and “Operations and Supply Chain Management” (with Poole College of Management professor Cecil Bozarth). Indentified as one of a handful of professionals in the 2007 Pros to Know list complied by Supply and Demand Chain Executive journal, Handfield is regularly quoted in such periodicals as the Wall Street Journal, the San Francisco Chronicle and the Supply Chain Management Review. Over the course of his career, Handfield has consulted with more than 25 Fortune 500 companies across a variety of industries. Such experience has helped inform his ongoing research on the performance of companies with “best in class” supply chain management processes versus those whose supply chain practices are mediocre, which shows that best-in-class companies experience greater stockholder value and enjoy higher savings. Handfield joined the college in 1999 and received his Ph.D. from the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill in 1990.
- Agricultural, Airlines, Biopharma, Bioscience
- Bioscience, Clothing, Consulting, Communications
- Computers, Energy, Financial, Fragrance
- Health Care, Manufacturing, Pharmaceuticals, Services
- Textile, Transportation, and others
- Developed benchmarking assessments for Compound Management and Drug Discovery, Clinical Trials Management, and Global Pack Management for GlaxoSmithKline (2011)
- Developed supply market intelligence organizational assessment and recommendations for BP (2011)
- Established foundational category management tools and processes for Newport News Shipbuilding.
- Conducted supply chain maturity assessment and supply risk diagnostic for CR Bard medical device manufacturer (2010)
- Designed and developed redesign of strategic sourcing processes at Newport News Shipbuilding
- Conducted global benchmarking analysis of healthcare data analytics solutions for Datapros (2010)
- Conducted in-depth assessment of 200 firms’ supply chain strategies in support of stock portfolio selection for Diamondback Securities (2010)
- Design and developed strategic sourcing methodology and process for ChevronPhillips Chemical (2009)
- Designed scorecards and risk management assessment systems for Biogen Idec Global Strategic Sourcing (2009)
- Developed maturity assessment and internal customer gap analysis for clinical supply chain at Biogen Idec (2009)
- Developed supply chain and strategic sourcing skills assessment and talent roadmap at Biogen Idec (2009)
- Presented results of clinical best practices supply chain study at Vetter Pharmaceutical (2009)
- Commissioned benchmarking research on Strategic Cost Management for Caterpillar Production Systems (2008)
- Commissioned research on Customer of Choice for Wholefoods Market (2008).
- Future of Procurement interviews and research for GlaxoSmithKline (2007).
- Developed Supplier Relationship Management approach and model for BP (2007)
- Developed “top quartile” performance for their strategic sourcing redesign project team, headed by Shell Lubricants (2007)
- Developed baseline approach for redesign of Procure-to-Pay Systems at Wachovia (2008)