Director of SCRC, Bank of America University Distinguished Professor of Supply Chain Management
- Honorary Fellow of Contract & Commercial Management (FCCM), International Association of Commercial and Contract Management, (2009).
- Recognized in 2009 as the #6 most prolific authors in the Journal of Operations Management within the last 20 years.
- Handfield was identified as one of a handful of individuals in the 2007 “Pros to Know” list compiled by Supply and Demand Chain Executive journal
- Handfield, Robert, Planning for the Inevitable: The Role of the Federal Supply Chain in Preparing for National Emergencies, IBM Center for Government, Published Report, July, 2010.
- Nicole Darnell, Robert Handfield, and Jason Jolley "Environmental Management Systems and Green Supply Chain Management: Complements for Sustainability?”, Business Strategy and the Environment, vol. 18, 30-45, 2008.
- Handfield, Robert, “Preparing for the Worst: Sustaining Suppliers Through the Economic Crisis.” Book chapter in Managing Global Supply Chain Relationships: Operations, Strategies and Practices, Editors: Drs. Barbara Flynn, Michiya Morita and Jose Machuca. New York: Busienss Reference, IGI Global, 2011, pp. 1-15.
- Sriram Narayanan, Ann Marucheck, and Robert Handfield, “Electronic Data Interchange: Meta-Analysis, Research Review and Future Directions”, Decision Science Journal, 2009, 40(1): 121-163.Highlighted Authored Books (3-5 entries)
- Handfield, Robert, Krause, Daniel, Scannell, Tom, and Monczka, R., “Avoid the Pitfalls in Supplier Development”, Sloan Management Review, vol. 41, no. 2, Winter 2000, pp. 37-49.
- Handfield, Robert, Ragatz, Gary, Monczka, Robert, and Peterson, Kenneth, “Involving Suppliers in New Product Development”, California Management Review, vol. 42, no. 1, Fall 1999, pp. 59-82. Republished in Managing Strategic Innovation and Change: A Collection of Readings, Tushman, L. and Anderson P. (eds.), Oxford University Press, 2004, 506-522.
- Christopher W. Craighead, Jennifer Blackhurst, M. Johnny Rungtusanatham, Robert B. Handfield (2007). “The Severity of Supply Chain Disruptions: Design Characteristics and Mitigation Capabilities.” Decision Sciences 38(1), 131–156.
MBA/Undergrad Courses Instructed
- MBA541, Supply Chain Relations…a required capstone course for OM/SCM majors. The course is comprised of a semester long team-based project working with a Supply Chain Resource Cooperative (SCRC) partner on a market intelligence project. The course focuses on developing strategic category management supply strategies, negotiating and contracting successful supply chain relationships, and building a world-class supply base.
Books Authored: Highlights
- Monczka, Robert, Handfield, Robert, Giunipero, Larry, and Patterson, James, Purchasing and Supply Chain Management, Cincinnati, OH: Southwestern Publishing, College Division, 5th edition, 2011.
- Handfield, Robert, and McCormack, Kevin, Supply Chain Risk Management: Minimizing Disruption in Global Supply Chains. Auerbach Publications, 2008.
- R. Handfield, Supply Market Intelligence, Auerbach Publications, 2006.
- Bozarth, C., and Handfield, R. Operations and Supply Chain Management, 2nd edition (undergraduate textbook), , Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall, 2005. Initial sales estimated in year 1 at 8000+ units.
- Handfield, Robert B. and Ernest L. Nichols, Jr., Supply Chain Redesign: Transforming Supply Chains Into Integrated Value Systems, Prentice Hall, Inc., Upper Saddle River, New Jersey (2002) (ISBN: 0-13-060312-0).
- Handfield, Robert B. and Ernest L. Nichols, Jr., Introduction to Supply Chain Management, Prentice Hall, Inc., Upper Saddle River, New Jersey (1999) (ISBN: 0-13-621616-1). Japanese, Chinese, and Korean language editions are also available from Prentice Hall-Japan (ISBN: 4-89471-608-9), Prentice Hall-Taiwan, (ISBN: 957-584-890-X), and Prentice Hall-Korea (ISBN: 89-88806-16-6).
SCRC Articles Authored: Highlights
- Managing Relationships in the Supply Chain
- The New Supply Chain Model
- Creating Information Visibility in the Chain
- Managing Relationships in the Supply Chain
SCRC Whitepapers Authored: Highlights
Online Publications Authored
Currently Working With
- Developed benchmarking assessments for Compound Management and Drug Discovery, Clinical Trials Management, and Global Pack Management for GlaxoSmithKline (2011) • Developed supply market intelligence organizational assessment and recommendations for BP (2011)
- Established foundational category management tools and processes for Newport News Shipbuilding. • Conducted supply chain maturity assessment and supply risk diagnostic for CR Bard medical device manufacturer (2010)
- Designed and developed redesign of strategic sourcing processes at Newport News Shipbuilding • Conducted global benchmarking analysis of healthcare data analytics solutions for Datapros (2010)
- Conducted in-depth assessment of 200 firms’ supply chain strategies in support of stock portfolio selection for Diamondback Securities (2010) • Design and developed strategic sourcing methodology and process for ChevronPhillips Chemical (2009)
- Designed scorecards and risk management assessment systems for Biogen Idec Global Strategic Sourcing (2009) • Developed maturity assessment and internal customer gap analysis for clinical supply chain at Biogen Idec (2009)
- Developed supply chain and strategic sourcing skills assessment and talent roadmap at Biogen Idec (2009) • Presented results of clinical best practices supply chain study at Vetter Pharmaceutical (2009) • Commissioned benchmarking research on Strategic Cost Management for Caterpillar Production Systems (2008). • Commissioned research on Customer of Choice for Wholefoods Market (2008).
- Future of Procurement interviews and research for GlaxoSmithKline (2007). • Developed Supplier Relationship Management approach and model for BP (2007). • Developed “top quartile” performance for their strategic sourcing redesign project team, headed by Shell Lubricants (2007) • Developed baseline approach for redesign of Procure-to-Pay Systems at Wachovia (2008)
Type of Industries Worked With
- Agricultural, Airlines, Biopharma, Bioscience
- Bioscience, Clothing, Consulting, Communications
- Computers, Energy, Financial, Fragrance
- Health Care, Manufacturing, Pharmaceuticals, Services
- Textile, Transportation, and others