The Procurement Process - e-Procurement: Procurement : A Tutorial
Published on: Jan, 28, 2011
The Procurement Process – e-Procurement
e-Procurement is the term used to describe the automation through web-enabled tools of many elements of the procurement process this includes:
- The issue, collection, and analysis of solicitations
- Execution and analysis
- Award of business via reverse auction
e-Procurement tools usually have the following key elements:
- Solicitation development tools
- Reverse auction capabilities
Solicitation is the process of seeking information, proposals, and quotations from suppliers. While solicitations can be verbal, quality and consistency is enhanced if the process is formalized as a written or electronic document.
|Request For Information
An open enquiry that spans the market seeking broad data and understanding
|Request For Quotation
An opportunity for potential suppliers to competitively cost the final chosen solution or solutions
|Request For Proposal
Based on the RFI, a business requirements-based request for specific solutions to the sourcing problem
- Auctioning is a mechanism for obtaining the lowest price for the supply of a product or service.
- In an on-line reverse auction, suppliers have the opportunity to reduce their bids to win the business.
- Using web technology, suppliers connect to the procurement system to bid anonymously against each other.
- A virtual elimination of paperwork and paperwork handling
- A reduction in the time between need recognition and the release and receipt of an order
- Improved communication both within the company and with suppliers
- A reduction in errors
- Lower overhead costs in the purchasing area
- Purchasing personnel spend less time on processing of purchase orders and invoices, and more time on strategic value-added purchasing activities
Read the Supply Chain Management Professional Newsletter
Read the latest supply chain research, articles, and news as soon as we post them.
- The World of Global Procurement Q&A with John Zapko, VP of Global Procurement, Lenovo
- Understanding Legistlation Related to Procurement: Procurement : A Tutorial
- The New Purchasing and Supply Management Workplace: Procurement : A Tutorial
- The Procurement Process - e-Procurement: Procurement : A Tutorial
- The Procurement Process - Implementing the Plan: Procurement : A Tutorial
- The Procurement Process - Creating a Sourcing Plan: Procurement : A Tutorial
- Role of Procurement within an Organization: Procurement : A Tutorial
- Types of Goods and Services Purchased: Procurement : A Tutorial
- Introduction: Procurement : A Tutorial
- E-Procurement and the Purchasing Process